With the holidays quickly approaching a lot of people will be turning to a traditional glazed spiral ham for the family gathering. This might be a long running traditional dish but with so many variations how do you choose the one that’s right for you? Below is a grate recipe that is a great starting point for a chef of any caliber.
What you will need:
- Spiral ham 8-10 lbs
- Whole clove 12 Each
- Ground ginger 1 Tablespoon
- Cinnamon 2 Teaspoons
- Whole grain mustard 2 Tablespoons
- Brown sugar 2 Cups
- Sherry 1/2 Cup
- Butter 1/2 Cup (Melted)
- Salt 1.5 Tablespoons
- Pepper 1 Tablespoon
- Rub the ham with the salt and pepper, then poke with the clove. Place in a roasting pan and line with water (about 4-5 cups). Place in a 325ยบ oven for 3.5 hours checking periodically to maintain the water in the bottom of the pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine the butter, sherry, sugar, mustard, cinnamon, and ginger making a thick paste.
- Evenly cover the ham with the mixture and cook for another 30 minutes or until the mixture forms a crust and the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145ยบ. Rest for 10 minutes covered in foil before slicing.