Jams are a versatile spread that can be matched with seasonal elements to really brighten up snacks and dishes. One of my favorite jams that can be used in both a savory, and sweet environment is a fig jam. This jam goes great with blu cheese, bacon, on apples, or even a caramel ice cream!
What you will need:
- Black mission figs 3 Lbs
- Honey 3/4 Cup
- Sugar 1 Cup
- Lemon Juice 2 Oz (Fresh)
- Orange juice 1 Quart
- Vanilla extract 1.5 Tablespoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon
- Cut figs in half and de-stem, then place in a medium saucepan.
- Add sugar, honey, lemon juice and salt. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the orange juice, and vanilla extract, simmering for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the mixture and cover the pan, letting stand for 15 minutes.
- While it is warm place in food processor and pulse until you get your desired consistency. (for a really thick jam you can crush the figs with a fork or whisk.)