Just because the football season is coming to a close does not mean you should give up on finding the perfect snack for the big game. Over the next few Sundays we will take a look at some fun options so you can wow your guests for Superbowl Sunday.
First up is the good old fashioned chicken wing. They seem so obvious of a choice but are also very hard to replicate like a restaurant would make. We will take a look at a few easy steps to make the perfect wing at home.
What you will need:
- Chicken wings 5 lbs (Jumbo wings)
- Cajun spice 1/2 Cup
- Fresno chillies 2.5 lbs Halved
- Red jalapeños 2.5 lbs Halved
- Garlic cloves 12 Each
- Vidalia onion 2 Each Sliced
- Sugar 1 Cup
- Salt 4 Tablespoon
- White Vinegar 4 Cups
- Water 6 Cups
- Butter 1 lbs
- Oil 2.5 Cups
Some tips: You can leave the seeds of the chillies in for more of a kick or take them out for a more even spice. To make an overall more mild sauce replace one of the chillies with belle peppers. If you leave the butter out of the recipe until you are ready to heat and serve, you can age the sauce in a mason jar with a coffee filter as a lid for up to 6+ months if kept in a dry cool area out of sunlight.
- In a saucepan place 2 tablespoons of the oil and begin to sautè the chillies, onion, and garlic over a high for 5 minutes.
- Add in the water sugar, and 3 Tablespoons salt brining to a boil.
- Simmer the mixture until the vegetables become soft and the water reduces by a 1/4 inch. (Approx 10 minutes)
- Pull away from the heat and add in the vinegar.
- In a large bowl place the wings, 1/3 cup oil, and cajun seasoning. Mix until the wings are evenly coated.
- In a 370º oven roast the wings for 20 minutes. Then let cool.
- While the wings are cooling puree the chilly mixture in a blender until it is very smooth. Add the mixture back to the saucepan with the butter and cook over low heat until the butter is melted.
- Place the remainder of the oil into a pan and heat over medium high heat. Shallow fry the wings for 3 minutes each side in small batches.
- In a bowl place the wings, salt, your prefered amount of sauce and toss.